Sunday, November 9, 2008

#58 All Souls Procession (the big one)

Tonight I went down to the big All Souls Progression that starts on 4th Ave and ends up downtown. Wow. Wow. Way cool. According to the news, over 10,000 people showed up for the procession. The guy in red above is pulling "the urn" -- people along the route write prayers on pieces of paper and put them in the urn. [The urn will get burnt up in an incredible fire performance later in the night -- I'll post pictures soon.]







I took this timed exposure of a ghost swinging a LED lit hula-hoop.



It was a beautiful night out with lightning in the sky north of Tucson and a brief sprinkling of rain. After the main procession of dressed up folks passed by on 4th Ave, many of the rest of us joined in and walked along to the sound of bagpipes and a cool drum beat, passing under the old 6th Ave underpass (above) to end up downtown at a large area where Flam Chen would be putting on an incredible fire performance finale (pictures soon). An outstanding event, and great to see that many people in a huge crowd all peacefully coexisting.

3 comments:

  1. That is very cool. I had never heard of a parade marking All Soul's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great All Souls posts. Wasn't it incredible this year? I hope you don't mind, I posted a link to your blog from mine. The pictures I took weren't nearly as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated, they let me know if anyone is actually reading my blog too!