Friday, April 11, 2008

Which brings us to the Pacific Coast...

The beautiful Oregon coast has a history of large Tsunamis. There is a large plate about 75 miles off shore which builds up pressure and has (and will again) produced earthquakes and large tsunamis which can range in height from 35 to 100 feet. Each town has evacuation plans, although the notice from quake to wave can be as little as 5 to 10 minutes, worst case. They tell people that if you feel the ground shake, you should immediately run to high ground (100 feet plus). Depending on where you are at, that can be easier said than done.



"The" tsunami is kind of the unspoken elephant in the room up here... As you drive around, walk the beach, etc. Probably not for one or two hundred years... Could be tomorrow... There are houses that very clearly would be destroyed, others that are quite safe. This doesn't detract at all from the great beauty of the coast, but to visit or live here one is certainly aware of the word tsunami, that's why I'm mentioning it, its a feature here.


My friends LK & BK were excellent hosts (as always) and took me to a number of just outstanding area restaurants. Many with views such as the one above, right out the window (no zoom or cropping).




This is a picture looking up at Cape Foulweather from the Otter Rock area.




Same Otter Rock location, but looking SW toward Gull Rock.




Here I am at Fishing Rock







A short Point & Shoot video to prove the ocean was moving in my other pictures...




And I also have to thank my other two friends who made this trip so enjoyable, Mija and Tiger (Tiger pictured, Mija was sleeping)! This pretty much wraps up pictures suitable for the blog from my Oregon trip. Hope you enjoyed.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder of what a seacoast can be like. It's been forever and a day since I've seen the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. grannyj -- you are most welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warren, That Pup Tiger looks like "Brad Pitt" ! What a good looking little guy !

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated, they let me know if anyone is actually reading my blog too!