Wednesday, April 9, 2008

#17 visited Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose

On the way out to the Oregon coast I stopped to see the "Spruce Goose", the largest flying boat ever built -- constructed out of wood due to the shortage of aluminum during World War II.

It is housed at the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville, Oregon. It was hard for me to get a picture of the whole plane; that's about 130 feet of wing in the picture to the left (follow above links for photos and more info). For scale, that's an SR-71 parked under the Spruce Goose's starboard wing.

Its a pretty impressive piece of aviation history with a wingspan of 320 feet (more than the full length of a football field).

Overall I thought the museum was a little crowded exhibit-wise, and a bit pricey for what one gets to see... But I'll admit I'm probably spoiled by the Pima Air Museum in Tucson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated, they let me know if anyone is actually reading my blog too!