Saturday, June 14, 2008

#30 reflected on old new things

I was out staining and oiling my wooden gates this morning -- trying to get done before the temperature breaks 104 and before the July rains start. I briefly wondered if there was any way to get a new thing of the morning's work. Nope, nothing new here unless I try to do it standing on my head or blindfolded...

But it did get me thinking about how many things I take totally for granted that were at one time "new things" in my life, and at the time of newness, pretty darn neat.

So, here is a list of a few of this morning's OLD things, that were once new...

1) woke up to an alarm clock playing a musical CD track
2) turned off a ceiling fan by remote control
3) used a light switch
4) used a toilet
5) used a faucet
6) swallowed a pill
7) looked in a mirror
8) brushed my teeth
9) shaved
10) took a shower
11) washed my hair
12) squeegeed (is that a word? oh well, its past tense now...)
13) used a towel
14) pulled on pants
15) pushed buttons through holes on a shirt
16) used a microwave oven
17) used a coffee maker
18) opened a refrigerator
19) put dishes in a dish washer
20) pulled on socks
21) put on shoes & tied my own laces (woohoo!!)
22) opened a sliding door
23) used a garden hose
24) opened a swinging door
25) pressed a button to open a garage door
26) opened a gallon can of oil wood stain
27) mixed stain
28) put down drop cloths
29) put on gloves
30) used a paint brush
31) cleaned up my own mess
32) saw a cat
33) had a conversation with a cat
34) used a washing machine
10) took a shower (again)
35) used a laptop computer
36) read the news online
37) turned on a TV with a remote
38) read interesting experiences of people I've never met in their blogs
39) thought about what I'm going to do today, how and when
40) made a blog entry to possibly be read by people I know and some I don't

and so on...

Jeeeze... at this rate I'll have several hundred old new things by the end of the day -- maybe I've been going about this all wrong! *smile*

There are a lot of pretty neat things we do or experience without giving them a second thought. I try (and often forget) to remind myself of all the people in the world, or in past history, who have never had a chance to do some of things we take so much for granted. Note to self: Its instructive to experience life as if this was the first time, and perhaps last time, that we could experience the "new thing", even if its an old thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated, they let me know if anyone is actually reading my blog too!