Thursday, March 26, 2009

complex

I dropped by Tucson Botanical Gardens for lunch today and took a few pictures. Lots of flowers blooming. Tucson springtime (and pollen counts, sneeze) is here. I was intrigued by this flower in particular, very complex. Any of you plant people out there know what this is?

Update: After a little research tonight, this appears to be a Passiflora caerulea, also known as the blue passionflower.


[Links: Randy Garsee (of the Tucson Murals Project) is now over in Iraq as a civilian journalist for the Marines documenting what he sees as "our military prepares to drawdown, pack up and roll out." He is blogging about his experiences on his personal blog: http://randygarsee.blogspot.com/ ]

6 comments:

  1. My first reaction was "The Venus Flytrap." I'm sure that's incorrect but I have no idea what it is . . except that it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sent to your blog by another blog friend to see your pictures. GREAT Pictures!!I am looking for a new camera. Limited budget though.. What camera do you use??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catalyst -- Passiflora caerulea, a very cool vine flower indeed!

    Tonia -- Thanks! I follow your blog as well -- you have some great pictures too. I'm using a Canon G9, I like it, a fair amount of manual control options available in a P&S package. But there are soooo many good choices for digital cameras now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the passiflora...and it attracts butterflies which is a huge plus...unless they eat it to the ground, which they sometimes do...it usually comes back though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is an old post but We were moving goats and I found a vine and flower Almost Identical to this one.. THere is some variations to it as in the color and the leaf on the vine. But my husband was showing me the flower and I was like I have seen this some where! THen it clicked.. SO I had to come back and compare. It is every where along this one section of our fence. I will have to post a picture of it. I may get to it tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tonia -- very cool, I think there are a whole bunch of varieties of Passiflora, but this was the first one I've seen. Glad to hear you found one!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated, they let me know if anyone is actually reading my blog too!