Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Towering Diversity

This is a quick collection of snaps taken yesterday evening of the many different types of communications antennae found on the top of Tumamoc Hill. Tumamoc Hill is immediately west of downtown Tucson and offers great views of Tucson and the surrounding area.

I was really intrigued by the design of this stack of three antennae made out of curved pieces. Very alien looking. Any communications engineers out there that know what this type of antenna is used for?












6 comments:

  1. I could use one of those beauties. Do you think they could ship by Friday? :P

    Tree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tree -- :), but what are they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ??
    Couldn't they at least paint them in a desert color scheme, and put some needles on them? ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! My kind of collection, Warren! For photographs, few things beat the variety found in objects of industry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen -- yep, a lot of the higher mountain tops are pretty cluttered. But it also hard to disguise the big ones. On lower city hills, they are getting better at disguising cell phone towers (do a search on "cell" on my blog to see a few if you haven't already seen them).

    Granny J -- Thanks! Interesting variety for sure! A friend and I have continued to research and try to find out more about that weird twisted antenna array, but so far no luck...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My gosh! Is Tucson connected or what! I can't get over how many different styles of antenna you found to photograph. Neat series. And thanks for the hilarious comment at Portland Oregon Daily Photo.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated, they let me know if anyone is actually reading my blog too!