Saturday, August 25, 2012

kinetic butterfly sculpture

8/25/2012, Toole & 6th Ave, Tucson, Arizona

I noticed this very cool kinetic butterfly sculpture on the corner of Toole Ave & 6th Ave this morning, it was apparently installed back in May of this year.

Its a 20 ft tall, 6 & 1/2 foot wingspan kinetic sculpture made by Ned Schaper (aka Mat Bevel).

It wasn't in motion when I saw it, but here is a link to the Bevel Butterfly Company which has some nice night videos of it in flight (once on their site, click the center of their screen two times to get to first video).

4 comments:

  1. I just went downtown this past Friday!!! Holy cow have they been doing some work around that area. It should look great when it's all finished. The butterfly structure is very creative. Nice catch:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very unusual sculpture Warren, I like the angle you've chosen to shoot this one, looks great against the blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of kinetic art, this one reminds me of a much smaller piece of kinetic art that I saw at the MIT museum in Cambridge, MA -- that one had an entire flock of birds made out of cloth/paper gracefully flying in formation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips.It gives me more information about Kinetic Sculptures,this post is really helpful. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated, they let me know if anyone is actually reading my blog too!