Sunday, August 28, 2011

Columbia River Gorge Waterfalls

 [August 3, 2011; Multnomah Falls]

On my recent Oregon trip I took a day to drive up the Columbia River Gorge, something I had been wanting to do for years.  I was a little concerned that perhaps the waterfalls wouldn't be running too strong since it was August and it had been sunny my whole trip, but I wasn't disappointed, they were still incredible.  The above picture is of the lower drop of Multnomah Falls (69 feet).

 The lower drop of Multnomah Falls from a different angle.

 Both the upper (542 feet) and lower (69 feet) drops of Multnomah Falls.  If you look closely, you will see two people standing on the trail bridge that crosses over the lower falls.

 From the trail bridge looking down the lower drop

the upper drop -- ok, there were a lot of drops...  ;-)

I really liked this waterfall, Horsetail Falls, it was a very pleasant spot to stop and have lunch. 

I only had one day in my schedule for the Columbia River Gorge area and had really hoped to be able to get out for long hike, but things didn't line up.  I hope to have time to do a hike on my next visit -- I'd really like to get up to Tunnel Falls sometime. 

I was lucky to be able to visit this area on a weekday, it wasn't crowded at all when I was there -- but from what I understand these easy to get to roadside falls can get pretty overrun with people some days.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice shots Warren! Looks like a good time was had. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Catalyst -- thanks!

    @Tombo -- thanks! Beautiful country up there, so much to see, so little time (on this trip anyway).

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated, they let me know if anyone is actually reading my blog too!