Saturday, October 25, 2008

#54 wet hands, dry hands

I recently tried out a Dyson Airblade hand dryer in an LAX airport restroom. This forced air hand dryer is made by the same people that make the Dyson vacuum cleaners that are supposed to just work "properly".

This air dryer works quite differently (and better) than the heated air hand dryer that has been around for decades. To use, you insert both hands into the Airblade and it starts blowing an unheated, 400 mph, thin sheet of air down both sides of your hands as you slowing pull them out, about 12 seconds start to finish. No rubbing hands together or any of that.

I have to say I was impressed. It was fast, simple, clean, and my hands were actually dry. There was only one of these in the restroom (demo?) and the rest of the restroom had about 6-8 automatic paper towel dispensers (automatically lowering paper towels onto wet countertops, sigh.)

Pros:
  • energy and environment friendly: no heat, no paper, no trash, lower labor
  • fast
  • clean
  • actually works and dries hands
  • acceptable noise level
Cons:
  • I'm not sure how these are supposed to drain water and whether this one was plumbed or not... The airport had put a big mat under it due to water accumulation on the floor..
  • Doesn't work in a power outage
  • It takes getting used to a new way of doing something... Given the availability of paper towels, I might not have tried it if it weren't for the new thing list.
Given a choice, would I use one again? Yes

2 comments:

  1. That sounds pretty cool. Maybe if it was designed to suck water it would be easier to drain. But then again, I can think of some cons to that approach.

    LOL at leafcutter ants in previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually own a Dyson vacuum and knowing the suction power that thing has I can see how a hand dryer would be a great invention. Sadly, our society loves "convenience" and so which will be preferred...12 seconds to dry your hands the environmentally friendly way or 5 seconds to use a paper towel? But I think it's great! I hope eventually we get some here in TX, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated, they let me know if anyone is actually reading my blog too!