Wednesday, October 1, 2008

#48 visited Yosemite National Park

This is a picture of the 3000 ft high face of El Capitan in Yosemite that I took yesterday while watching climbers. I drew a circle around one set of climbers above, enlarged below...


Climbers typically take 2-3 days to climb El Capitan.

In the picture above you can see their hanging duffel bags of supplies and a portable "ledge" to sleep on. I've read accounts of climbers and rescues on this rock, but seeing it first hand really put it in perspective. Impressive. From where this group was, I'm guessing they are on their second day on the vertical face. El Capitan has also been speed climbed in an astounding 2 hours and 45 minutes! Here's a link to some videos of that feat.

I spent a few days in northern California last week and since I've never been to Yosemite before, dropped in for two fast (too fast) days of sightseeing and day hikes. More pics to come...

2 comments:

Comments are always appreciated, they let me know if anyone is actually reading my blog too!