Saturday, April 6, 2013

Great Horned Owl

"Departure"
Great Horned Owl @ Free Flight @ ASDM, Tucson, AZ  (4/4/2013)
I had the day off work on Thursday and spent part of the day out at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (ASDM) where I took this series of Great Horned Owl pictures during their Raptor Free Flight demonstration.  During the cooler months of the year, twice a day, they put on a very impressive flight demonstration of a number of larger desert birds.  Check out the talons above!

"Arrival"
"Landing with flare"

It's really nice to be able to see these birds close up as they land for food from their trainers, then take off and soar high overhead.  On this particular morning, the demonstration included Ravens, a Prairie Falcon, Great Horned Owl, and a Red Tailed Hawk.


Click on any picture for a larger view...



1 comment:

  1. I love owls. This one has such a severe look to his face. It might frighten me to get so close. Thanks for photographing it and sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated, they let me know if anyone is actually reading my blog too!