Saturday, October 3, 2009

GLOW 2009, Oracle, AZ (1/3)

I had a fun time last night at the Triangle L Ranch in Oracle attending GLOW with friends. GLOW is an annual multimedia art event held during a full moon in the town of Oracle (north of Tucson). Dozens of artists set up illuminated art out in the desert and people wander around enjoying the art and live music under the night sky. GLOW is being held October 2 & 3rd this year.


This was really cool, stained glass and cut out metal, about 6 feet tall. This would make a striking entrance to a house entryway!


wine bottle electrics...


the way a tea party should be held...

This Mad Hatter's Tea Party looks small in the picture, but was really quite large extending back maybe 20 feet or so into the desert. The stack of tea cups might have been 4 or 5 feet high.

Strange things out in the desert... This large creature was quite tall, kind of looked like a cross between a cat and a man. Quite impressive.

and it was made out of cardboard

3-D faces

one of several propane fueled fire artworks along the path

a ranch shed lit up nicely

abandoned refrigerator with lava lamp


a blacksmith was still working into the night at the ranch


one building had several interior illuminated art exhibits


a large bird along the outside path with a microphone that would convert your voice into twitters and tweets played out of a nearby speaker.

fun little shadow puppet show

another propane fueled piece of art

6 comments:

  1. What an interesting post! Quite a range of creativity! I like the wine bottle lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tree -- you're right, lots of creativity out there. From what I understand, the illuminated art submitted and displayed is different every year. There were several in motion pieces, some performance art, and some really bizarre hard to capture on camera pieces too. And of course a lot of people wandering around in various degrees of glowstick attire. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an unusual event! The colors look so rich against the black background. I think the cat man, flaming spider and lava lamp fridge are amusing and I wouldn't mind having those bottle lights in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am green, GREEN, G*R*E*E*N with envy! Such a great event, but oh so far away! Thank you, Warren, for taking us all there with your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane -- It is a cool event indeed, one that kept slipping past me every year until this year when I made a point of putting it on my calendar in advance. I'll be back!

    Catalyst -- :)

    Granny J -- you are quite welcome! I always enjoy your blog posts from the Prescott area too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated, they let me know if anyone is actually reading my blog too!